I slept over at Ardell's house last night. She is a tricky lady. You know she has specific plans for you when she asks a question like "What are you plans for tomorrow?" It only took me 20 years to realize this was her roundabout way of telling you she has something she wants you to do. You must choose your answer carefully...very carefully! Just kidding...but I do think Ardell thinks she is being tricky. Any ways...she asked me this very question last night. The only plans I had were cleaning and organizing my house. Her plans for me were to can peaches and tomatoes. Yay! I am so glad I did! There are several reasons why I enjoyed this:1. As most of you know, I want to become a Domestic Goddess/Diva. Learning how to "Can" food is a big part of this. Ardell has canned food her whole life and let me tell you...delicious and great for a budget!
2. At church we have had several lessons recently about getting a "One Year Supply." I got the prompting that I no longer can sit back and say "When I get married..." or "When I get my own house..." etc. I need to act and start now. Seriously, this has been on my mind a lot lately. I need to sit down and actually make a plan on how I am going to do this. If any of you have ideas about this, not only for food, but for other essentials, please let me know! I also have decided I need to learn how to cook with the basic's...flour, sugar, wheat, etc...seriously...any ideas on where to start?
3. The most important reason, I got to spend time with my mom. I was born when my parents were 46 (mom) and 50 (dad). It has been hard to see my dad go from full activity and intelligence, to where he is now. It really makes me think about all I need to learn from my parents and the somewhat limited time I have left to do this. When I was younger I don't know that I appreciated all the skills I could learn from Ardell, but I definitely do now, and hopefully time will allow me to learn them all.
Side note: You may have noticed I call my mom, Ardell. When I am speaking to her I call her mom, unless she ignores me then I call her Ardell to get her attention. But when I talk about her and my dad, I like to call them Dean and Ardell, I think it gives them personality! The name Ardell in my mind has so much character!
Side note the 2nd: I tried a little experiment with the tomatoes. Instead of leaving them whole, I diced them into pieces and then put a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic in them. Cross your fingers that they are YUMMY!
5 comments:
UMMM Tastyyy! I love Peaches!
We totally need to get together on this one. My mom has sworn off canning and hasn't done it for years. So I've never learned. And for some reason I really really want to learn. My tomatoes are almost ripe and I don't want to throw them away!
When you learn how to cook with the essentials, send your recipes my way and I'll do the same for you.
Carrie, I would love to come over and help you can some tomatoes...I am going to make some salsa as well...maybe we could do this together. You could even come over to Ardells and we could do it there or I could borrow her stuff. Just let me know!
I am jealous as well, I have been having the itch to can as well but I think it will only get worse when I have my own garden. You will have let me know how the tomatoes turned out. As for suggestions on a one-year supply, every month we buy one box of food storage from the cannery and try to get something different each time. Sometimes it is 6 cans of all the same thing or 6 different things. That has been a pretty good way of doing things. But my sister is doing a program where every week, she buys $5 dollars worth of one type of food (canned corn, rice, green beans, water, ect) and she claims by doing this that in a years time, you will have your year supply. I will email you more info on it, I think this sounds very doable when on a budget.
I think you should continue on your quest to becoming a Domestic Goddess... but not a Diva. Because "Diva" is just a polite way to say "Bitch". Just my tip o' the day. ~ jl
Post a Comment